Thursday, February 6, 2014

Inside of a Dog by Alexandra Horowitz

Ask anyone, I must be the biggest dog fan in all of GCC Library.   I have a two dogs, a Labrador and a toy poodle both of which I am just head over heels in love with.   So much so that my kids accuse me of liking the dogs more than them. 
So when I heard Alexandra Horowitz’s interview about her new book Inside of a Dog, I knew that was a must read for me.  How could it not be?  This psychologist from Barnard College was going to explain to me what my dogs were thinking and feeling.   Plus it was a NYTs best seller.  Always a good measure when selecting a book. 
I flew through this book.  The best part was that Horowitz, being an academic, based all of her writing on evidence.  She uses research to explain so many interesting elements of dog life.  Now I know why my Nate has to mark over and over again when we take our walks.  The great outdoors is one giant message board for these beings.   This understanding has made me a much more patient friend to my Lab.
Still not sure if this book is for you?  Start with Horowitz's interview on NPR, Author Knows What Goes on 'Inside of a Dog.'  

2 comments:

  1. Okay, Renee, you brought it up, so I have to ask: why do dogs have to 'mark,' over and over, where they've been? I mean, it's maddening how frequently they have to stop to...pee?! Every now and then I dog-sit for family or friends, and a walk that would normally take 15 minutes without a dog, ends up lasting 30 minutes because of all that darn sniffing and marking. What gives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The following is an excerpt from an Outside Magazine interview with Horowitz which answers your question:

    Are they marking territory when they pee on hydrants?
    It doesn’t look like they’re marking territory. Wolves do this, but how many dogs walk around an apartment peeing on the wall? It seems that marking for dogs has changed to where it’s simply information leaving for other dogs. So another dog peeing in the same spot is less an act of marking territory and more an, “Oh, this is a good spot because someone else has been here.” It’s like a bulletin board.

    It’s like their Facebook.
    They were way ahead of us in this particular game. Theirs is a smellier Facebook.

    Here is a link to the full article, 7 Questions with Alexandra Horowitz by Stayton Bonner: http://www.outsideonline.com/blog/podcasts/7-questions-with-alexandra-horowitz.html

    ReplyDelete