Friday, October 17, 2014

GCC Reads participants wrap up "Puerto Rican Goldilocks"

At the Friday morning discussion group meeting, GCC Reads! mentors and mentees wrapped-up their final thoughts, impressions, and experiences reading "Puerto Rican Goldilocks."  Several members of the Friday group also attended various portions of the author, Marisel Herrera's, presentation on Wednesday, October 15.  Following, are their thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. I have started the book but I have not been able to finish it and I have to say that it is a good story to read to a child or to give someone inspiration to be more caring to family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get a chance to make it to the presentation on Wednesday due to schooling, however I did read the book and it was an enlightening and touching book. I was able to relate to the book, as I have always been an outsider to the community around me, being poor and not of the community. I stood out in a full Hispanic community, as the only "Caucasian" girl in the neighborhood. The truth is I am Native American and Latin, I just don't look like it. Just like the author, she was a standout in her family because she had blonde hair and was treated differently by her teachers because of it, me too. I was always teachers pet, simply because I was the outcast and was thought to be smarter simply because I was considered white. I was shy but outspoken, this lead to serious troubles, even a fight or two. I can seriously understand this book, and thanks to the Spanish class and translator software on my computer and tablet I was able to read it with very little difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you to Marisel Herrera for visiting on Wednesday and sharing her story with us! It was great to be able to see, hear, and feel her emotions which helped me to have a stronger connection with her and her book. She was very motivational and definitely kept it real. My daughters and I really enjoyed it and my 9 year old even wants to read the book now after listening to Marisel share. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this book. When I was reading it took me back to the memories when my parents told me about not having a lot of money and her parents would do everything to proved for them of a family of 8 kids. So I told my mom to read the book and right now my mom is reading the book and so far she likes it.

    ReplyDelete